Will Young People Ever Buy a Buick?

Looks good, but will young people buy it?

Looks good, but will young people buy it?

I’ve been thinking a lot about Buick today.

I know that’s not a phrase most 32-year-olds are caught uttering, but I’m conflicted about where the brand seems to be headed.

Naturally, the word “Buick” still conjures images of Florida retirees driving with their left turn signals flashing on the way to a 3 p.m. dinner at the buffet. It’s such a common scene that I sometimes wonder if 1990s-era Buicks were even equipped with right-turn signals.

So when I think of people who drive a Buick, I see old people with blue hair and a pair of knuckles poking up over the steering wheel.

But then I’ll drive past a blinged-out Buick Enclave and remember that, oh yeah, Buick does have some sweet-looking rides now. But even though the Enclave looks good, I’ve still not seen anyone younger than 60 driving one. I’d never buy a Buick for the simple reason that I’m not old enough to own one yet.

Buick sure wants me to consider buying one, though, as evidenced by the completely lame and nearly insulting TV ad that attempts to lure a younger audience into the 2010 Lacrosse. All the ad does is make me think of my grandpa trying to act cool in front of a group of teenagers. Watch the video below and judge for yourself  (the last scene is especially hilarious and slightly disturbing).

I do have to give the Lacrosse credit, because it’s following in the Enclave’s footsteps of looking more Lexus-like than traditional Buick. But until I drive one and am convinced that it’s not just another 2-ton floating cruiser, I think anyone who still works for a living will pass it over.

While Buick has always gone down the “bigger is better” path, I’m hearing rumblings of a possible new crossover based off the (get ready for this) Chevy Aveo platform.

My first instinct is to trash-talk that decision, too, but after thinking about it, it might actually be a good idea. If Buick can put together a vehicle that rivals the MINI Crossman crossover, and not just rebadge an Aveo, the brand might be on the right track to finally getting younger people behind the wheel of a Buick.

Would you consider buying a Buick before retirement age?

-tgriffith





Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий